In this A/U, there is no United Federation of Planets. Starfleet is an Earth protection agency, and the only aliens unfortunate enough to have met Earthers were a small group of Vulcans fleeing war-ravaged Vulcan to follow the beliefs of Surak in peace. Shot down and herded onto a marginal piece of Earth, the Vulcans have barely managed to survive their Terran experience, and there appears to be only a limited future for young Spock. Life does not hold much more for Jim Kirk who is drifting through life, aimless and purposeless. Is it posiblee for two such different beings to find their true calling and make a difference? If their love is meant to be, can they find one another?
Categories: Fiction Characters: Original Character(s)
Crossover Fandom: AU or Mirror UniverseGenres: Kirk/Spock Pre-SlashOther Languages:
NoneStory Type: Action/PlotTrope (OPTIONAL):
NoneUniverse: ST:TOS Original UniverseWarnings:
This is a long-term story that I will be posting occasionally. I have no idea of the length, but you can tell from where the characters are that there will be a lot of world building and character development to get them to where we want them to be.
I have no warnings for this as currently written although warnings may be added as the storyline unfurls.
I have no rights to Star Trek or these charactters and receive no financial benefit from this activity. Amen.
1. Chapter 1 by PaintedBird [Reviews - 14] (4396 words)
As previously indicated, this will be a lengthy work with occasional postings while I go about other business. I hope it will be sufficiently entertaining for you to follow along the line.
2. Chapter 2 by PaintedBird [Reviews - 1] (3560 words)
3. Chapter 3 by PaintedBird [Reviews - 2] (3375 words)
I hope this post finds you all well and happy. Here's a bit more for the time being.
4. Chapter 4 by PaintedBird [Reviews - 2] (4486 words)
Hellow again. This may be my last post for a bit due to family illness, but I'll be back when I can. I hope you'll enjoy this installment
5. Chapter 5 by PaintedBird [Reviews - 4] (3871 words)
Good news on the family health front so I guess I am free to write until the next bump in the road. So here's the new chapter:
6. Chapter 6 by PaintedBird [Reviews - 1] (3567 words)
7. Chapter 7 by PaintedBird [Reviews - 5] (3034 words)
So we continue to move along in this saga. Where will it all end?
8. Chapter 8 by PaintedBird [Reviews - 2] (2766 words)
Sorry for the delay in posting and for my response to your comments. I am having periodic problems with the archives. This should catch me up for a little bit. I hope that you enjoy the chapter.
9. Chapter 9 by PaintedBird [Reviews - 2] (3363 words)
I hope all is well with you, dear readers. I have managed to work ahead for a few chapters and may be able to post a bit more frequently for a while.
10. Chapter 10 by PaintedBird [Reviews - 4] (3094 words)
Welcome to Chapter 10! So we are moving right along although I still have no idea how many chapters this will entil - just that there will be many, many more. I've heard some of you like the long stuff, and we're just getting started.
11. Chapter 11 by PaintedBird [Reviews - 4] (3522 words)
So here we go. Another chapter!
12. Chapter 12 by PaintedBird [Reviews - 3] (3345 words)
So let's start off the new week and autumn with a new chapter! Happy fall season to you! I hope it is as beautiful as my day is here.
13. Chapter 13 by PaintedBird [Reviews - 4] (3537 words)
For studioustrekker who asked for more.
14. Chapter 14 by PaintedBird [Reviews - 6] (3763 words)
Thanks for your comments on chapter 13. It really helps when I get feedback on the chapters, even if it doesn't change my plans for the story line overall.
15. Chapter 15 by PaintedBird [Reviews - 3] (3388 words)
It's been very dreary here today. I hope the weather is better where you are. The next installment of Zone is now here, and I hope you enjoy it.
16. Chapter 16 by PaintedBird [Reviews - 4] (3149 words)
I have been trying to work several chapters ahead while working on this, but at this time I only have one more already written after this one. That opens the posibility that I will slow down a bit in posting. We'll see. Maybe I will have a great burst of decision on the issues that are slowing me down and begin to spring through this story once more.
17. Chapter 17 by PaintedBird [Reviews - 3] (3091 words)
It had to happen sooner or later. Although I have been trying to work ahead, this is the last completed chapter I have done. The good news is that I have done an outline for 11 more (and that's not the end). The bad news is the Chapter 18 is incomplete and won't be ready for a bit.
I will continue to post so don't worry about this being an orphaned story, but with the holidays approaching, a project I've committed to, home maintenance, and my participation in the national writer's project to write 50,000 during the month of November I've got a lot on my hands. But I won't quit, even though Zone may have to come second for a few weeks. Sorry but that is life, isn't it?
18. Chapter 18 by PaintedBird [Reviews - 3] (3283 words)
Welcome to the next chapter! I hope you enjoy it. It has given me a little trouble but is finally complete.
19. Chapter 19 by PaintedBird [Reviews - 3] (2423 words)
Hello! I have returned temporarily from the wilderness of Christmas crafts and NaNoWriMo to present this new chapter. The Christmas crafts are completed (sort of) so there is only NaNoWriMo in my immediate future. Well, that and Thanksgiving...and lots of turkey. Hmmm. I like turkey. Hope you do, too. I'll return directly with another chapter. Happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate it!
20. Chapter 20 by PaintedBird [Reviews - 2] (3585 words)
Greetings! Here is another chapter. I hope you have a good holiday season and enjoy reading lots of good stuff!
21. Chapter 21 by PaintedBird [Reviews - 3] (5042 words)
I hadn't planned to post again quite this soon, but since there have been so many posts poor litle In the Zone has zipped down the page and away. Fortunately, I happened to have a chapter all ready so here it is. I hope you enjoy it.
22. Chapter 22 by PaintedBird [Reviews - 2] (4724 words)
I hope that this chapter posting finds everyone well and enjoying their holiday season. Once I get through the holidays I hope to have more time to write, but I will be starting a new project next month so we'll see. I hope you like it.
23. Chapter 23 by PaintedBird [Reviews - 3] (4752 words)
I don't know when I have had to rewrite a chapter as many times to get it the way I want it so thank you all for your patience in waiting while I have been doing so. Finally it is right!
24. Chapter 24 by PaintedBird [Reviews - 2] (3585 words)
I appreciate your reading and commenting. It makes it easier slaving over a hot laptop to know that there is someone out there who is appreciating the effort. I have nothing written ahead of this chapter at this point but will post again as soon as I do.
25. Chapter 25 by PaintedBird [Reviews - 2] (3247 words)
My apologies for the delay in getting this posted. Due to computer problems, I've been locked out of this account for over a week and finally had to pay my computer guy to fix the problem. I hope all is well with you, dear readers, and will be back here again soon.
26. Chapter 26 by PaintedBird [Reviews - 3] (3623 words)
This chapter went together nicely so here it is earlier than you might have expected. I appreciate everyone who is reading and commenting and hope to have another chapter available soon.
27. Chapter 27 by PaintedBird [Reviews - 1] (2766 words)
Hello again! Here is one more chapter of the ongoing saga. Thanks for reading. I hope that you enjoy this chapter.
28. Chapter 28 by PaintedBird [Reviews - 3] (3680 words)
More for you! Thanks for reading.
29. Chapter 29 by PaintedBird [Reviews - 2] (4228 words)
Happy Valentines Day to you all! I hope you enjoy this chapter.
30. Chapter 30 by PaintedBird [Reviews - 3] (3359 words)
Rain, sleet, ice, and snow here! Stay safe wherever you are.
31. Chapter 31 by PaintedBird [Reviews - 1] (3823 words)
32. Chapter 32 by PaintedBird [Reviews - 2] (3077 words)
I would like to note the passing of Leonard Nimoy. Mr. Nimoy's portrayal of Spock has cast a large shadow over the course of my life, and I will always be thankful for that. Although I never met him, he seems to be much of what Star Trek holds important - curiosity, creativity, and a general caring for others. My condolences to his family, fellow actors, and all Trek fans.
33. Chapter 33 by PaintedBird [Reviews - 2] (4407 words)
Whew! This has been a tough one. I hope you like it.
34. Chapter 34 by PaintedBird [Reviews - 2] (3107 words)
I apologize for the delay in posting this chapter. Unfortunately, I have had yet another problem with my archive account and have been locked out for days. While I intend to finish this story, I may be looking for another home for future work because of this recurring problem. I hope you enjoy this chapter.
35. Chapter 35 by PaintedBird [Reviews - 1] (3401 words)
While I was trying to get access to my account, I worked ahead a bit on the writing so here is a bonus chapter. I hope you enjoy it.
36. Chapter 36 by PaintedBird [Reviews - 2] (3080 words)
I hope you are enjoying this holiday weekend! More later.
37. Chapter 37 by PaintedBird [Reviews - 1] (3275 words)
38. Chapter 38 by PaintedBird [Reviews - 2] (3941 words)
Thanks for taking a look. I think I have finally beatten this chapter into submission after many, many revisions. I hope you enjoy it!
39. Chapter 39 by PaintedBird [Reviews - 2] (3279 words)
40. Chapter 40 by PaintedBird [Reviews - 3] (3077 words)
I've been locked out of the account again. This doesn't bode well for my staying with the archives. I will be looking at other posting options while I continue to work on this beast. Enjoy!
41. Chapter 41 by PaintedBird [Reviews - 1] (4524 words)
42. Chapter 42 by PaintedBird [Reviews - 2] (2691 words)
43. Chapter 43 by PaintedBird [Reviews - 2] (3108 words)
44. Chapter 44 by PaintedBird [Reviews - 4] (2943 words)
Happy Memorial Day weekend to those observing it! Be sure to hug your veteran.
45. Chapter 45 by PaintedBird [Reviews - 2] (2776 words)
Can I finish this by July 22nd, the first anniversary of the posting of Chapter 1? Who knows? Stay tuned to find out.
46. Chapter 46 by PaintedBird [Reviews - 1] (2581 words)
I am going to be away a couple of days and thought I would leave this for you before I go. I hope you enjoy it!
47. Chapter 47 by PaintedBird [Reviews - 0] (2655 words)
48. Chapter 48 by PaintedBird [Reviews - 2] (2166 words)
49. Chapter 49 by PaintedBird [Reviews - 2] (3253 words)
Please read this before you read this chapter:
I have been working slightly ahead on chapters in an attempt to finish some time in the next month or two so this chapter was complete in draft form prior to the shootings last week in the Charleston church. Charleston is a lovely old city, and I have gracious and kind friends who live there, but it is also a city with a troubled past. Its history, in part, is why I chose it. So I dedicate this chapter to the victims of the Emanuel AME Church shooting and to all the others who have suffered discrimination because of the color of their skin, their religion, or their heritage.
50. Chapter 50 by PaintedBird [Reviews - 3] (2230 words)
As I indicated in the previous chapter, the recent mass shooting in Charleston SC occurred after this and the previous chapter were finalized. I am glad to see that there has been a calm response to the tragedy, and I hope that the people of Charleston can bring about healing in their community.
51. Chapter 51 by PaintedBird [Reviews - 3] (2866 words)
Not a single comment on that last chapter? Really? REALLY?
52. Chapter 52 by PaintedBird [Reviews - 1] (4646 words)
You busy little readers have been reading a lot the last few days so here's a bit more. If I am going to reach my goal of finishing this month, I have to get busy!
53. Chapter 53 by PaintedBird [Reviews - 5] (5105 words)
Everyone just about caught up? Here's one more toward the goal of completion this month.
54. Chapter 54 by PaintedBird [Reviews - 1] (2975 words)
55. Chapter 55 by PaintedBird [Reviews - 1] (3384 words)
56. Chapter 56 by PaintedBird [Reviews - 1] (3651 words)
57. Chapter 57 by PaintedBird [Reviews - 1] (3661 words)
58. Chapter 58 by PaintedBird [Reviews - 5] (3085 words)
After a year of writing on this project, I am glad to say that this is the last chapter. Thanks to all of you who have followed it for so long. I hope that the journey has been worth it to you.