Another piece of shameless K/S melodrama. Now with endnotes! Notes to the series:
1. The series is set to begin in the time after Spock’s death fixing the engine reactor in The Wrath of Khan (directed by Nicholas Meyer, 1982) and his resuscitation, begun on planet Genesis and later completed through fal-tor-pan on Vulcan, in The Search for Spock (directed by Leonard Nimoy, 1984).
2. A shameless K/S melodrama is the comically self-deprecating subtitle for Killa’s beautifully serious, deeply-written story Turning Point, originally posted to the alt.sex.fetish.startrek newsgroup in 1995 (also appeared in «T'hy'la», 18), now at http://seacouver.slashcity.net/killa/turnpt.html and at http://ksarchive.com, together with the sequel Full Circle, originally posted in 1997 (also appeared in «T'hy'la», 20). I like the turn of phrase so much that (shamelessly) I robbed it.
3. Fal-tor-pan: Ancient, difficult Vulcan ritual of rebirthing the deceased, by reuniting the elements of a whole composed by the body (cellular matter, or protoplasm), the soul (life, functioning metabolism), and the katra, or spirit (personal individuality, including experiences and memories). The Vulcan concept of this triad shows some similarity with Terran alchemical philosophies in the early centuries a.D.
4. The series becomes AU in part 9, in a way opened by Elise Madrid with One particular harbour, originally published in «T'hy'la», 23, October 2003, and its companion piece Duty’s Call, originally published in «Legends», 3, November, 2003, both now at http://ksarchive.com. Be forewarned (further warnings in due time).
5. Most Vulcan words and phrases come from The Vulcan Language Institute Reclamation Project (see in particular the page at http://www.stogeek.com/wiki/Vulcan_Language_Lesson_19), the Vulcan Dictionary at http://members.tripod.com/~tshala/vul-dict.html and The Vulcan Information Centre for Extravulcanians at http://www.marketaz.co.uk/StarTrek/Vulcan/Vulcan.html. The others are personal knowledge.
6. Working on this took me the best part of a year. The endnotes have been a way to keep part of my mind at safety distance, while the rest boldly went where I’d never gone before. The endnotes used to be footnotes, but it seems the posting voodoo can’t pick them up as such.
7. Copyrights are duly mentioned wherever possible. The webpages mentioned are those where I first read the stories I quote; many of them have now also been posted here.
8. The original version of the series has also pictures. It may be that at some time in the future I’ll get a website and post the whole stuff there.
NoneGenres: Kirk/Spock SlashOther Languages:
NoneStory Type: Character Study
, Established Relationship
, First Time
, Hurt/ComfortTrope (OPTIONAL):
NoneUniverse: ST:TOS Original UniverseWarnings: Caveat lector/Choose Not to Warn
, Major character deathChallenges: